Springer Online Journal Archives 1860-2000
Abstract The present study was done to evaluate the effect of short-term dietary therapy on 148 dyslipidaemic children (24 familial hypercholesterolaemia, 105 non-familial hypercholesterolaemia and 19 hypertriglyceridaemia), detected by mass screening in children at 18 months of age. In the model diet used for treatment, 15% of the total calories were obtained from protein, 27% from fat and 57% from carbohydrate. Cholesterol intake was set at 〈200 mg/day and the ratio of polyunsaturated to saturated fatty acid (P/S ratio) was 1.2. When compared to the composition of the diet ingested by the dyslipidaemic children, only the P/S ratio changed from 0.7 to 1.2. During 12 months treatment, levels of total cholesterol, low density lipoproteins cholesterol and apoB decreased by 10%–15% in children with familial and non-familial hypercholesterolaemia. There was no significant change in the levels of high density lipoproteins. In 19 children with hypertriglyceridaemia, the intake of carbohydrate was limited to 55% of the total calories consumed and after 12 months of treatment, triglyceride levels reverted to normal. Throughout the study period, apprimately 70% of the children on this dietary therapy were seen in our clinics every 3–6 months and physical development was within normal ranges. These results, taken together, indicate that dietary therapy can be effective for correcting dyslipidaemia, even in young children.
Type of Medium: